Collingwood’s Jordan De Goey issues apology video after Bali drama

Jordan De Goey has been apologised via a video from Collingwood after a week in which the Magpies star has been slammed.

Underfire Collingwood star Jordan De Goey has apologised his actions after a week in which his Bali video drama has dominated for AFL headlines.

The 26-year-old was captured on video partying in Bali during the bye week break and has been slammed by former players and pudits.

Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

De Goey put out a firey statement last weekend slamming the “relentless pursuit and persecution of athletes by the media … will end in tragedy if no one speaks up”, while he also appeared to link his recent ADHD diagnosis to the Bali incident, both of which increased the heat on the star.

De Goey has not returned to training with the Magpies either and was allowed personal leave.

But on Friday the star midfielder has apologised for his actions in a video statement shared online by Collingwood.

“This week’s obviously weighed pretty heavily on me and I just thought I’d wait until I’ve got a clear mind to come out and apologise for my actions and my behaviors,” De Goey said.

“I don’t condone that behavior at all and I’ve got a lot of work moving forward.”

Asked if he had a message for the football community and especially the women at the club, De Goey reiterated his apology.

“Firstly I do want to come out and say I definitely am sorry for that,” he said.

“I’ve got a lot of important women in my life and I understand you need to show respect to women at all times. I’ve got a responsibility to the wider community and I need to keep working towards that.”

De Goey was seen making rude gestures to the camera and also tugging at a woman’s top.

The woman involved, Remy Jackson, posted about how she was surprised by the backlash.

De Goey also apologised for appearing to hide behind his ADHD diagnosis as a reason for his behavior, after AFL boss Gillon McLachlan said it is “not an excuse for what’s going on”, while Eddie McGuire and 3AW host Neil Mitchell over the issue on radio on Thursday.

“Obviously you’ve seen with the ADHD stuff which came out, firstly I just wanted to say that’s not an excuse for my behavior at all,” he said.

“I just wanted to let people know that I was dealing with some stuff on the side throughout the first half of this year and also now. It’s something I’m learning a lot about.

“I’m not a perfect person, I don’t think I ever will be. But hopefully I can make some changes so these mistakes don’t happen again. And just on that I’d just like to apologise once again.”

De Goey was punished by the Magpies this week. Although some lashed the suspended $25,000 fine the club handed out, the 26-year-old’s potential four-year $3.2 million deal was shelved by the club.

De Goey also has a long rap sheet during his AFL career.

De Goey was fined $10,000 by the AFL in March for his involvement in a late-night incident in New York last year.

He has a long list of other offenses as well, including road offenses such as speeding while driving a sports cars as a P-plater, driving while suspended and using a handheld device, drink-driving on his P-plates, and lying to Collingwood after breaking his hand in a bar fight.

Originally published as ‘I’m not a perfect person’: Jordan De Goey issues apology video

.

Leave a Comment